Harold Bell is the Godfather of Sports Talk radio and television in Washington, DC. Throughout the mid-sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties, Harold embarked upon a relatively new medium–-sports talk radio with classic interviews with sports celebrities, politicians and news makers of the day. The show and format became wildly popular. Harold has been an active force fighting for the rights of children for almost 50 years with the help of his wife Hattie through their charity Kids In Trouble, Inc. Click here to learn more about Mr. Bell.
The Exit of Harold Bell
Harold Bell, the “Godfather” of sports talk radio in Washington, DC, announced his departure from “Speak The Truth,” (a podcast on our site) to focus full-time on his Muhammad Ali project. For almost two decades, Harold wrote more commentary and was the most read columnist on this website. If you read his work or watched him on social media, you could not help but learn from Mr. Bell. For those of you who never had the opportunity to meet this 4th generation Washingtonian, here are some noteworthy things to know about this legendary broadcaster.
- Was the first African-American sports radio talk show host in Washington, DC.
- Regularly calls out sacred cows who he believes forgot who they are and where they came from. Harold believes that high-profile personalities and people in the public domain should be scrutinized. That is the price they pay fairly or unfairly.
- Will quote his grandmother who used to tell him, “A lie will change a thousand times. The truth will never change.”
- Always told me “Family First” when things got too hectic for me.
- Speaks the truth as he sees it and does not appreciate being blindsided.
- Does not fear threats of lawsuits for what he says or writes because he speaks and writes about the truth and if he does that no one can tarnish his reputation.
- Will tell you that he’s from the streets and in those streets “game recognizes game.” Harold will not allow anyone to misrepresent or disrespect him.
- Over the last 5 decades Harold has developed friends across the political spectrum. He will tell you that his problem is not the White man. His problem is “fake ass Niggers pretending that they are Black.”
Despite almost two decades of friendship, Harold told me that I don’t really him. I only know what he wants to show me and the public. However, based on my observations over the years, I can say with confidence that Harold Bell is a believer in God and a lover of children. His “Kids In Trouble” foundation, founded by he and his wife Hattie, has been working to help under-served youth in the Washington, DC metropolitan area for 5 decades.
“Every White face is not your enemy, and every Black face is not your friend. You can’t soar with eagles if you’re hanging out with chickens.”
Mr. Bell’s departure from “Speak The Truth” is not the end of Harold Bell. You can follow him on his blog and come to your own conclusion about Harold Bell, the man, the myth and the legend. Click here to go there now.