By Mr. Free Spirit, (Posted July 2, 2017)
Remember when I stated: “This is the last article before the trip, Mr. Free Spirit will send pictures back during the trip for publication and the September article will be the trip summary.”
Well a new development has occurred. Did you know, this will be the largest gathering of Black Boaters/Yachters in the history of Black boating? We are not talking about the events on the cruise ships, we are talking about private yachts. This event started with one (1) welcome party July 28,2017, it has grown to three (3) welcome parties one July 27 and two (2) July 28th. I remember my first trip in 2008, I was fascinated with the collaboration of that number of Black boaters. We had qualified Black Captains from the United States. I am now amazed at the numbers of both the experienced Black boaters and the new people that want to enjoy the experience of renting a yacht and cruising the British Virgin Islands (BVI).
According to Nielsen:
- Blacks are more aggressive consumers of media and they shop more frequently.
- Blacks watch more television (37%), make more shopping trips (eight), purchase more ethnic beauty and grooming products (nine times more), read more financial magazines (28%) and spend more than twice the time at personal hosted websites than any other group.
- Blacks make an average of 156 shopping trips per year, compared with 146 for the total market. Favoring smaller retail outlets, blacks shop more frequently at drug stores, convenience stores, and Dollar stores.
- Beauty supply stores are also popular within the black community, as they typically carry an abundance of ethnic hair and beauty aids reside that cater specifically to the unique needs of black hair textures
The overall results are very revealing.
Many of the articles in BMIA are intertwined. Read the articles about entrepreneurship. Can you imagine a Black Photographer and/or Videographer investing in going on this trip? What would be the Return on Investment (ROI)? Since history is going to be made on this trip, can you imagine the ROI?
Just think how many people it took to make this happen, via conference calls and emails. Below is just a small sample of the groups involved to make this historic event occur:
Boating clubs around the United States have been invited and the response appears to be great. Here is a list of just some of the boat/yacht clubs invited:
- No Drama Vacation- MD
- Seafarers Yacht -Club Annapolis MD
- Seafarers Yacht -Washington D.C.
- Universal Sailing Club
- Neptune’s Yacht Club-Baltimore
- Nauti by Nature
- Sankofa Odyssey
- Downriggers Fishing
- Sailfete-New York
- Black Boaters Summit
- Chesapeake Flotillas.com
- Edock-Ms. Bev—Metro Detroit-Power
- Chesapeake Flotillas
This does not include all the people and the tremendous efforts on their part.
During a conference call between Mr. Gary Johnson, Black Men In America.com and Mr. Free Spirit a decision was made to document this historic event with a pictorial and/or video slideshow. Representatives of Black Men in America.com will work with participants after the event and assess the available photos and film to determine the best method of documenting the event. This will be a collaborative effort coordinated by Mr. Free Spirit.